Geneis 2:24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.
Marriage needs to achieve these three objectives:
- Leaving parents
- Uniting with a wfie
- Becoming one flesh
Many marriages fail to clear the first hurdle. Some couples never quite leave their parents. Here are some manifestations of marriages being negatively impacted by excessive involvement of parents in marriages:
- Demanding that the marital home be run exactly as Mom ran hers.
- Constantly comparing whatever your partner does with your family experience.
- Spending more time with your parents than with your spouse.
- Seeking refuge in the family home when conflicts arise.
- Calling on your parents to intervene and resolve disputes.